The Emergency Medical Services Exemplary Service Award
About the EMS Exemplary Service Medal
The EMS Exemplary Service Medal, created on July 7, 1994, is awarded by the Governor General of Canada. The medal recognizes professionals in the provision of pre-hospital emergency medical services to the public. Recipients are those who have performed their duties in an exemplary manner, characterized by good conduct, industry and efficiency.
To qualify for the EMS Exemplary Service Medal the member must meet the regulation which states “the medal may be awarded to any person who:”
- Recipients must have been employed with emergency medical services on or after October 31, 1991.
- Have completed 20 years of exemplary service in emergency medical services, including at least 10 years in the performance of duties involving potential risk.
- Those with at least 10 years of service with emergency medical services may include, in the 20 years of service, service completed in another profession, provided this service has not been recognized by another long service, good conduct or efficiency decoration or medal awarded by the Crown.
- The Medal may be awarded posthumously.
What is ‘Exemplary Service?’
Section 2 of the Regulations governing the award states that “exemplary service” means service, characterized by good conduct, industry and efficiency that serves as a model for others.
Exemplary service is that standard of individual EMS service, performance and dedication that we would wish to see imitated. It is the model of what we would wish all EMS personnel to be, rather than merely the standard of performance required.
Defining characteristics of an Exemplary Service Medal nominee may include:
- Change the way we Practice
- Gives Unselfishly
- Public Image of the Practice
More information on the EMS Exemplary Service Medal, including the complete listing of requirements, can be found on the Governor General of Canada website.
Bars for Subsequent Service
If you have previously received an EMS Exemplary Service Medal and are eligible for bars that are awarded for each subsequent 10 years of service, please email [email protected] to self-identify. The NS EMS ESM Committee does not track years of service.
Please complete the Nomination Form and send electronically via email only to [email protected]. Incomplete forms and self-nominations will not be accepted.
All nominations will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email, your nomination has not been processed and you are recommended to resubmit. Note: If you are sending by email via fax, please include a cover letter in your scan.